Monday, August 1, 2016

Thesis contemplation

Writing my master's thesis has become a source of contemplation and stress. I changed my first proposed topic for another, once I realized that the topic I had in the first place wasn't moving along. I think I reached a limit of how much of the particular concepts I could take, they have been all around me during the academic year and it was enough. Sure this new topic of mine has connections to some concepts from the previous topic, but everything can be connected to everything if you just try. haha... Yet what I keep bumping into is the fact, that no matter how hard I try to decide a topic I would like to study, someone somewhere tells me I should approach it from these concepts and theories, and not the ones I had chosen in the first place.
Its like anything I seem interested in, can be modified to be in relation to psychology, which don't get me wrong is all fine and dandy, but I wanted to do something more. Sure it is imperative to understand how we humans and further the organizations and groups we perform in work, but does everything have to be discussed from such a limited perspective of topics? In the first place I was interested in learning more about the service dominant-logic, but was directed towards customer engagement - so why people do anything in relation to a company.. Now I was returning to a passion of mine, the environment and CSR in the form of the circular economy and blue economy concepts, but was suggested to study motivational theories - so why companies would choose to use these environmental strategies.
Yet in my mind to study motivation in regards to the environment, seems to allow the thinking that there are no environmental issues to discuss. A debate that can be seen, usually in politics that unfortunately is as useful as stabbing oneself in the eye. The environment has changed, more so by the action of man than naturally, the resources we have are scarce because we use them illogically and there are too many people on this earth to be sustained by the current processes in action. So to me it just seems like a waste of time to study motivation, as it would imply that there isn't a pressing need to change the way the world works. Sure from another perspective it would be crucial to know how could we, on a rapid pace change how the decision makers in big companies view the environment.
And as any diligent blogger I have filled this post written in the beginning of summer with early spring pictures from Turku... maybe the next post might even be real time? Scary thought.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment