Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pep Rally

So my second day in Guelph started off with a campus tour with people from my residence. It was good to see a little bit of the campus and also figure out some places where I could get something to eat, since I had no clue. After this I decided to check out the nearest mall, Stone Road Mall. I took a buss to it and turns out it wasn't far at all and I actually walked back coz I wanted to know how long it would take and also coz I had no clue where to catch the bus back.

So I was back for the pep rally boogie practice. What's the pep rally? It's an event where each residence shows off their dance and judges choose the best both in dance and general spirit. General spirit is shown by chanting stuff about your own residence and other residences also about your school like:
"1. We are the gryphns 2. A little bit louder 3. I still can't hear you. 4. more more more.."
 The most notable thing for the University of Guelph is winding your toy or also called Toy Wind. Here's a video of the orientation week volunteers doing the toy wind:
No they are not hitting their asses with their hand. Anyways we practiced our East Village etc boogie and got ready for the actual event where we would perform it for the other residences. Most people participating in this are first years and exchange students like me. So this was the gear we performed in: East Village t-shirt and face paint. (Yeah I know Swedish colors)

Our East Village Mascot

Matt - the guy behind our boogie

our banner
The pep rally was a lot of fun, but the only bad part was that it started raining half way through and we were all stuck in it. It was cold and wet, not a good combo. Also sadly we didn't win even though we had the most creative boogie, with the never before seen moving toy wind. But at least I got to see for the first time ever real cheerleaders:

No comments:

Post a Comment