Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fuel for the Soul

Seems I'm having this kind of collection feel lately, though this post won't be showing off my entire collection but a selected portion of it. So what's today's collection? The fuel for the soul, books of course. I'm really passionate about reading I love to do it, though I never really seem to have enough time to do it. I've kinda always read books in both Finnish(native tongue) and in English, so my collection has both languages. So I'm going to show you parts of my collection and tell you more about my favorite books, I'm going to give each book it's own entry so there will be more about books soon.

So here is a part of my collection:


So from left to right: Anne Franks diary, Jane Austen - Persuasion, Cecelia Ahern - P.S. Rakastan Sinua(P.S. I love you), Stephen King - Duma Key, Sara Gruen - Water for Elephants, Jung Chang - Villijoutsenet(Wild Swans) and Anne Rice - Interview with a Vampire, Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Dammed.

Now we are going to take a look at one of the books in more detail, Water for Elephants. I actually chose this book based on I really liked how the cover looked. I didn't really think about anything else.
So what's on the back cover, that I didn't actually read until half way through the book:
Beautifully written and completely unforgettable, Water for elephants is an atmospheric, gritty, and compelling novel of star.crossed lovers, set in the US circus world circa 1932.
When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits - the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth - a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town.
Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her. 
Water for Elephants is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.
In the beginning of reading this book I was a bit bored by the way it was written but then when I started to get used to it, it turned out to be a really good book. This was after a long pause in reading English books my first and hence the beginning was slow, since I wasn't used to reading in English. The book has an way of getting you hooked on it without you truly even noticing it and it has a really lovely story. The way it is tolled as a story being told by an old man was my favorite part, it gave the book more warmth. So I warmly suggest everyone to read this book rather than watch the movie. I haven't yet seen it and I did read this book years before it came out.

p.s. going to Tallinn tomorrow, so going to be back on Tuesday. There won't be any post for tomorrow except of course my picture of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment